Friday, January 9, 2009

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


I have just started this book last night after almost a week of staring at it on my kitchen counter. I am a little intimated by the cover-not my usual sassy cover showing high heels or cartoon pictures of women (the cover of the last book I read was a woman floating on a flipflop in a sea of chocolate) and then I read the foreword. Okay, now I am officially initimidated. I have formed a kind of book club with my two friends, Jenn and Jess. Jess was the one who chose this one. I don't believe I have read anything that would qualify as a "literary classic" in a very long time-I hope I don't need cliff notes. Will keep you posted on how it progresses, but I finished the first chapter last night and so far, so good....I am not usually a fan of the whole finding-beauty-in-pain-and-struggle, but I would guess that is part of the point of having a club, exposing myself to different types of books.

3 comments:

Jess said...

okay so I just finished ch 2 but at first I was seriously about to call both of you and say forget it I am not sure why I chose this book... what was I thinking? It is slowly getting better but not my typical book either though I know I am the kind of weird book reader in the group. I wanted to read it because it had over 500 great reviews on Amazon and was chosen as one of the Books of the Century by the new york public library... of course then I was like okay we need to read this... hopefully we will all learn something. If anything we have to love the names: Frannie, Flossie, Uncle Flittman,etc

V. said...

I looked at the reviews too...trust me, I need to be pushed out of my comfort zone as far as what I read. I plan to read some more this weekend. I do think she is going to be a really likeable main character.

Jennifer said...

okay, so my book has not come in the mail yet. but i'm glad to know that ya'll are still around chapters 2 & 3 and that I'm not that behind. I love the names, esp. Flossie. I have relatives that used to call me that, well actually "Flossie Mae." Do ya'll have any ideas on a name for our book club?